An InkPlate application requires some functionalities to be properly set up within the ESP-IDF. The following elements have been done for this project and can be used as a reference for other projects:
- **PSRAM memory management**: The PSRAM is an extension to the ESP32 memory that offers 4MB+4MB of additional RAM. The first 4MB is readily available to integrate into the dynamic memory allocation of the ESP-IDF SDK. To do so, some parameters located in the `sdkconfig` file must be set accordingly. This must be done using the menuconfig application that is part of the ESP-IDF. The following command will launch the application (the current folder must be the main folder of EPub-InkPlate):
$ idf.py menuconfig
The application will show a list of configuration aspects. To configure PSRAM:
- **FAT Filesystem Support**: If the application requires the usage of the micro SD card. This card must be formatted on a computer (Linux or Windows) with a FAT 32 partition. The InkPlate6Ctrl class requires this in its current configuration. The following parameters must be adjusted in `sdkconfig`:
- Select `Number of simultaneously open files protected by lock function` > `5`
- Select `Prefer external RAM when allocating FATFS buffer`
- **Flash memory partitioning (optional)**: the file `partitions.csv` contains the table of partitions definition for the 4MB flash memory, required to support the largest applications size in an OTA context. The partitions OTA_0 and OTA_1 have been set to be 1.3MB in size. In the `platformio.ini` file, the line `board_build.partitions=...` is directing the use of these partitions configuration.